If you’ve suffered through a car accident that was not your fault, a car accident lawyer can assist you in claiming compensation. Negotiations with insurers or litigation on your behalf are used to accomplish this. In many cases, clients can establish strong cases by gathering and preserving evidence.
Keeping evidence in your car accident case can help you claim reimbursements for medical bills and other damages. Although, keep in mind that loss of evidence happens often, which is why contacting a vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible might help you preserve evidence for a prospective legal claim.
Gather as Much Evidence While It Is Still Available
Following an automobile collision, a successful personal injury or wrongful death claim necessitates a plethora of proof. In rare cases, a legal team may be able to collect information for you, such as data from a car accident reconstruction.
Only an assertive victim can acquire numerous critical pieces of evidence in an automobile accident case. If you are badly injured in a car accident, get medical assistance right away. However, you must collect the following items:
- Photograph of damaged vehicles, skid marks, debris, or smashed glass, as well as any road issues or construction activity that may have contributed to the crash
- Photograph of your wounds
- A copy of the drunk driver on tape
- Names and contact details of witnesses and anybody else involved
Furthermore, following a car collision, the following information should be saved as soon as possible:
- A police report: In most cases, you must call the cops to file an insurance claim. Inquire about when and how the responding officer will acquire the report, and make sure you have it as quickly as possible.
- Automobile service records: These may show that your car was not blamed for the accident or that a defective product was a factor.
- Documents and receipts: Keep a record of everything related to your injury and healing, including medical expenses. Include prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceutical receipts that you utilized to treat your injuries. You seek restitution for these losses, and your medical records will witness the severity of your ailments.
- Work logs that have been misplaced: A claim may involve compensation for lost wages resulting from an injury.
Among the evidence your car accident lawyers can obtain and save on your behalf are the following:
- Diaries on the phone: Distracted driving can be proven if a driver texts or converses on a cell phone while on the road.
- Emergency 911 calls: Emergency 911 calls are only kept for a limited time, so contact a car accident lawyer right once to help you obtain this evidence. You will need this to indicate the tone of intoxication in the caller’s voice.
- The black box: The black box is a device that records events, or it may otherwise be called an event data recorder (EDR). This device may also record a vehicle’s speed, braking, and steering before a collision.
- Recall notices: All of the vehicles and components involved in the accident should be recalled. A manufacturer could be held liable for a malfunction or defect that contributed to the crash.
Preserving evidence could be conducted independently, but it’s more advisable to have legal representation to aid your needs. Moreover, your chosen attorney should have experience with car accident cases so that you’re assured that they can determine what evidence to seek and how to preserve it. After all, critical pieces of evidence may necessitate a court order. Again, in a car accident, an experienced attorney must act quickly to safeguard such evidence.
Are you looking for accident lawyers in DC? Zukerburg Halperin offers you only the leading personal injury lawyers in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. With us, you’re assured of quality service and justice at the same time. Book an appointment with us today!